Sunday, May 3, 2009

For fellow procrastinators

I've been having a marvelous week, thanks to a little e-book I read for the second time recently.

I am a highly skilled procrastinator, and I have this big exam coming up in 94 days, 1 hour and 44 minutes. Setting up the counter on my computer dashboard was a masterful stroke of procrastination -- "Look, self. I'm creating a motivational tool for you! That's time well spent." I have a million of them.

Instead of using this post as another procrastination tool, I'm just going to pass this information along. Hillary Rettig is a remarkable author, coach and activist who has written the book "The Lifelong Activist," which is about creating a sustainable, committed life, avoiding burnout, learning to be more effective, and I would say treating yourself more lovingly. On her website, http://lifelongactivist.com/, she shares an extended e-book called The Little Guide To Beating Procrastination, Perfectionism and Blocks: a Manual For Artists, Activists, Entrepreneurs, Academics and Other Ambitious Dreamers. It's wonderful, and if you are like me and can be pretty hard on yourself when you don't follow through on something, I would even say that it is healing. Hillary Rettig has such a compassionate and intelligent voice, and she is a remarkable woman. As an aside, she recently donated a kidney to a total stranger as an act of service beacause she had an extra one. What a beautiful way to live.

The other resource I draw on when I'm having trouble facing my work or other parts of my life is called The War of Art, by Steven Pressfield. It's such a helpful tool.

So, fellow avoiders, let's all stop holding back our gifts and see what we can do when we get out of our own way and don't let our fears control us.

Love,
Eliza

No comments:

Post a Comment